Friday, November 20, 2015

8 November - Knesset & Art

We were allowed out today for the first time in a while!!  We are allowed in groups of 5 to the city, with at least 1 boy.  First, about 30 of us went to the Knesset building to have a tour at 10.  We were led through the different important rooms and showed the symbolic art they have displayed.  Mostly everybody thought it was very interesting!








Six of us walked over to the Israel Museum to check out some of the art we didn't see when we went through a few weeks ago for Chadwick's assignment.  They have a whole impressionist section with Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Degas, Pisarro, Van Gough, Cassatt, Gauguin...it was amazing.  I forgot how much I love art.  I could spend so many hours in a museum like this!! Look how beautiful!! It was giving me flashbacks to spending all day in art museums in Vienna...wow that was the life.  In Vienna is the Leopold museum which has the largest collection of works of Egon Schiele - my favorite artist.  I FOUND ONE OF HIS PAINTINGS IN THIS DANG MUSEUM IN ISRAEL.  It is the one of the houses, oranges and browns.  His paintings of people are my favorite, but this got me really happy too.
















We walked from that museum (in West Jerusalem) to the Old City...it took us about 45 minutes total.  We stopped on this luscious green grass to eat our lunches, right across the street from the American Consulate.  I passed this same park a few weeks ago and it was literal DIRT.  It is amazing what a few weeks of rain can do in this desert country!!!  This is my kind of winter.  Just kidding, I miss the snow.

We looked at some olive wood...these photos are from Omar's shop.  It is all pretty expensive.  A lot of people have gotten nice big nativity sets, though.  That photo of me is right in front of Damascus Gate - my favorite.  It is so pretty!!!











Like that bust of Christ is over $200, it is maybe 8 inches tall.  Look at that pretty sight of the Jerusalem Center as the sun is going down!!  And the green Mount of Olives we are on, going down into the Kidron Valley.  WOW.  The last photo is of the road block that is set up on our street at the bottom of the hill going into West Jerusalem into East Jerusalem.  The cars get super super impatient here and just honk their horns NONSTOP, we think it is so funny every time we walk buy.  The army men always say hi to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment